WASHINGTON (AP) 鈥 said he is holding off on a planned for Tuesday because 鈥渟erious negotiations鈥 are underway.
Trump鈥檚 announcement in a social media post Monday came as he had threated the clock was ticking for Iran to strike a deal or fighting would renew after a fragile ceasefire.
The president did not offer details about the planned attack but said but he instructed the U.S. military 鈥渢o be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment鈥檚 notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.鈥
Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend he warned, 鈥淔or Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won鈥檛 be anything left of them.鈥
Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if Iran did not strike a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement.
Trump said in his social media post that he was calling off the planned strike at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.
Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.
Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.